I Updated to BlogEngine 1.4.5.0

by Terry 8/5/2008 10:16:00 AM

BlogEngine 1.4.5.0 released this week. It is a much improved version of 1.4.0, which seemed to be ridden with bugs. This is a short post to make sure it works.

Currently rated 1.5 by 108 people

  • Currently 1.518516/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Tags: ,

BlogEngine.NET | Personal

BlogEngine Bugs

by Terry 7/30/2008 11:15:00 AM

I updated to BlogEngine 1.4.0.0 last week. That was more work than I hoped but overall has been a good move, not because BlogEngine is any better, but because it forced me to update my web hosting accounts. Now that the host updates are complete, I can look at using BlogEngine more. So far the 1.14.0.0 version has annoying bugs in the posting control. I lack the time to research it all, and I am only slightly tempted to use the intermediate build versions.

The most annoying defect is that none of the script-driven methods work correctly on the posting pages (Add_entry.aspx). The HTML view and link add/edit functions do not work. It is painfully difficult to edit or format my journal entries. This morning I resorted to updating the post with the plain text, then editing the XML data file and inserting the content in the way I like. Ugly.

I have research and fixes to implement and no time to do it. I am not sure if it is a permissions issue on my host or bad script in the pages (I suspect the later). Double ugly.

Currently rated 1.5 by 6 people

  • Currently 1.5/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Tags: , ,

BlogEngine.NET | computing | Personal

If you have nothing good to say…

by Terry 7/23/2008 10:29:00 AM

As kids we have all been told, “If you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all.” I have so much to complain about since Saturday that I am almost at loss for good things to say. But, I will breathe deep and try.

If you read my posts or subscribe to my feeds, my apologies for the garbage posts. I periodically check my hosting provider to see what is offered. I upgraded my web space with better features and services for a substantially reduced cost yesterday. This is great for me and everyone. Apparently my hosting provider made an error and updated the DNS settings to the new site before I had actually built and configured the new location. If you see this post I have corrected the issues and you are looking at the new site. It was not the smooth transition I have executed many times before.

This was all really kicked off when I upgraded my site to use BlogEngine 1.4.0.0. My hosting provider has some odd configuration settings on some of their platforms. BlogEngine has an ‘Admin’ folder for blog management (I hate the term blog, and use “Journal” where I can). To implement BlogEngine on my site I had to rename the Admin folder to a ‘safe’ folder name. I chose ‘journal_admin’ and updated all the source code to use that folder structure. Not a difficult task, but annoying when I want to apply an updated.

By changing my host platform I no longer need to make this change to the ‘admin’ folder in the BlogEngine source. The new platform allows me to have folder names of my choice, which is as it should be. The garbage on my ‘new’ site was test code to make sure I could fully implement BlogEngine source without any change. No one was supposed to see that, however. Such is life.

Currently rated 4.5 by 2 people

  • Currently 4.5/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Tags: , ,

BlogEngine.NET | computing | Personal

BlogEngine Update

by Terry 7/17/2008 3:41:00 PM

I updated my site this morning with the latest version of BlogEngine (1.4.0). This took me about 90 minutes. The challenge is my web host provider does not allow an ‘Admin’ folder at the root share on the server. I do not mind this so much, but I have to search for every reference to the Admin folder and replace it with a different location that work with my site.

Once I did that, the conversion was generally painless. My current web theme still works, but I need to update my site master to use my custom controls. At the moment I do not have the time to do this. Anyway, BlogEngine 1.4.0 appears to work.

The one problem I did run into was with an error on the ProfilesCommon class. I kept getting the following compile error when publishing:

The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I found another post with the same error at http://developerblog.net/post/2008/07/ProfileCommon-could-not-be-found.aspx. I did the same thing and deleted my site and republished. All is now well. Go figure.

Currently rated 5.0 by 1 people

  • Currently 5/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Tags: ,

BlogEngine.NET | computing

Chronological PostList control code posted

by Terry 5/8/2008 2:03:00 PM

I uploaded the code for the chronological PostList control I modified for this site. You can download the code from my Chronological PostList control for BlogEngine.Net page.

Currently rated 1.5 by 2 people

  • Currently 1.5/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Tags: ,

BlogEngine.NET

Powered by BlogEngine.NET 1.4.5.0
Theme by Mads Kristensen

About Terry Losansky

Terry Dee Losansky

I am a software architect, actively practice and teach martial arts and live in Snoqualmie, Washington. I have an amazing daughter who is the jewel of my life.

E-mail me Send mail
Terry's Facebook profile

Calendar

<<  November 2017  >>
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930123
45678910

View posts in large calendar

Recent comments

Authors

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in anyway.

© Copyright 2017

Sign in